Networker

Re: [Networker] Private backup network?

2005-12-15 10:00:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Private backup network?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:57:41 +0200

> > Ideally, each network connection on any system on your network will
> > have its own DNS entry. If that's the
> > case, just create a client resource that refers to the DNS entry for
> > the client's backup network address.
>
>  That's what I tried before, and it did not work.

No, it will not be enough as the nsrexecd on the client will ask
it's host "Where am I running" and then get the Primary network name
as answer.
In later communication with the Networker server this is the name it
will report back, disregarding the interface name for the IP-traffic.

This is why you need to alias the primary name to the right client.
Then Networker knows that it is OK that a client called clinet1-backup
is calling itself client1 and associate the indexes in the right way.

Dag