Networker

Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server

2005-12-13 13:52:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:48:41 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's...:

Well, first those numbers are "theoretical", not real world.

I agree.  The real world numbers should always be at least a little
(and perhaps a lot) lower than the theoretical numbers, though.

Also, we
have one gigabit interface running jumbo frames connected to a backbone
with two NetApp 960 servers and another 2nd gigabit interface running
normal framing connected to the rest of the world.

Ah, I see.  So you're not pushing that much data through a single gigE
link, you have two links.  Are your NetApp backups going over the LAN?

The original context
that this thread was on was the fact that Sun Solaris would have
difficulties running full speed gigabit, but my point was with tuning it
can.

Maybe we're talking about different things.  My point is essentially that
no one will ever push more that (approximately) 125 MB/s through a single
gigabit ethernet interface.  I agree that if you add additional interfaces
(gigabit or otherwise) one might be able to push aggregate traffic
amounting to more than 125 MB/s through the interfaces, but to me that's
a different scenario completely.

Can anyone with a single Solaris 9 or 10 gigE link that has done some
throughput testing post some numbers on what kind of sustained (or even
burst) throughput you get over your gigE link?  I'm really interested to
see how close Solaris gets to the theoretical maximum on a single link.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the