Networker

Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance

2005-12-08 15:06:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance
From: "Reed, Ted G II [IT]" <Ted.Reed AT SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:57:35 -0600
Robert,
Between this and your other thread, I have a (new) concern that I didn't
have 15 minutes ago.....and maybe you have some insight?

I am replacing my antiquated e4500 Storage Node (8x400Mhz/4G RAM/4x TOE
[tcp offload engine] GigE/4x 1G HBA/1x100Mb admin NIC) with a e490
(4x1.35Ghz dual core/8G RAM/4x TOE GigE + 1 onboard GigE/2x 2port 2G
HBA/1xGigE admin)....both running solaris 8 outputting to 6x STK 9940B
(30/60/90M write speed).  I currently max out at 100-120 MB/sec
aggregate throughput to the drives, but I also have 6 nsrmmd processes
(1 per drive) that max out at 100% cpu (x6) when I hit that mark.  So I
have always worked under the assumption that my throughput limitations
have been due to cpu constraints during max usage.

I also assumed that updated servers could reach higher speeds through
enhanced CPUs with corresponding nsrmmd processing power.  However,
reading your comments on 'streams queue' raises the question....Will we
see the increased throughput from hardware upgrades alone?  Or should we
also be investigating an OS upgrade?  Will Solaris 8 bite me as a
solution?  Unlike you, I've never been able to get any kind of good info
from our SUN staff or support whenever I have raised the question of
true TCP I/O performance tuning.....there's are reasons (other than the
obvious) why our e4500 has all TOE cards.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/feelings/comments that you or any
other listserv member has.
--Ted