Networker

Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance

2005-12-08 14:41:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:36:30 -0500
Jan,

Actually its a little known fact the the controller on a V440 is actually
a hardware raid controller.  Booting off of it is probably not support nor
do I know anyone that uses it this way..most SUN systems use Veritas or
Sun Volume Manager (aka Disksuire) to mirror the boot disk etc.

See my other reply in this thread.  I found the V440 quite capable but
apparrently as one tries to drive the gigabit NICs faster more CPU
is needed.

I'd love to know if any of SUN's new dual core CPUs help in this regard.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 03:17:42 -0500, Jan Fredrik L=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C3=B8vik?=
<jan.lovik AT ROXAR DOT COM> wrote:

>I am in the process of investing in a new Networker server and was
wondering
>what kind of disk system you are running on the V440? Since you are able
>max out 4 procs., are you running sw raid?
>I have been given a offer on a V240 and V440 as well as an AMD-based X4200
>server..
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems