Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up linux cluster always does full backup

2005-12-07 05:38:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up linux cluster always does full backup
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:37:29 +0000
Nicole Skyrca wrote:
Hello,

I have two RedHat Enterprise Linux v. 2.4.21 that are setup in a cluster. Each server has local disks for the operating system, and the data is on a shared filesystem that is mounted from the SAN, but this filesystem is only mounted on the "primary" server. Each physical node in the cluster (db-server02a and db-server02b) is configured as a client in Networker, and backs up all savesets. I configured a client for the virutual cluster name (db-server02) and it only backs up the filesystem from the SAN.
The backup schedule is full once a month, incremental the rest of the month.
Everytime I do a backup of the virtual machine, it does a full backup, even
when it's scheduled for an incremental. The following is from the logs:
12/05/05 12:04:52 nsrd: savegroup info: db-server02.syr.edu:/mysql: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; performing a full backup

When I run mminfo, I don't see anything for db-server02, but do I see the entries for the SAN filesystem in db-server02a.

How do I backup the SAN filesystem with the vitual machine name so that it
doesn't do a full backup every time?

I tried adding the file pathownerignore in the /usr/sbin directory as per the
pathownerignore man page, but that didn't change the behavior.

A message in the Networker archives that suggested to "put "save -c virtual-name" in the
Backup Command filed in the Remote tab."  I've never put anything besides "savepnpc" in that
field, so I don't think I fully understand what it's doing.  Does this work?  Has anyone had problems with it?

save -c is the correct solution here. You will find reference to this in the admin guide. It works. If you were doing RMAN backups you could achieve the same thing by specifying NSRCLIENT= in the RMAN script.

Not using save -c would give unexpected results. Incrementals and level backups wouldn't work well, neither would recoveries.

"signoff networker" in the