Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up linux cluster always does full backup

2005-12-06 16:25:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up linux cluster always does full backup
From: Sebastian Schönwetter <seb AT OPEN2 DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:17:03 +0100
Hey,

I guess you are using a clustering product which is not Legato-aware. The problem you are experiencing can be explained as follows :

- networker asks for a filesystem pertaining to a virtual host / ip
- the local client runs the save command which returns the physical hostname instead of the virtual hostname, as networker cannot interrogate your cluster - the data is then stored in the networker database using the physical hostname - the next time you run the savegrp, networker sees that there is no full backup for the virtual hostname (since in the database there is only the physical hostname), and asks a full backup again.

and so on, and so on..

I solved this problem for a customer by creating a shell script /usr/sbin/lcmap

That returns the virtual hostname to filesystem map in networker's RAP format.

# man lcmap

is your friend :)

--- start script  ---

#!/bin/bash

cat <<EOF
type: NSR_CLU_TYPE;
clu_type: NSR_LC_TYPE;
interface version: 1.0;

type: NSR_CLU_VIRTHOST;
hostname: samba-cluster;
owned paths: /samba;

type: NSR_CLU_VIRTHOST;
hostname: imagine;
owned paths: /apache, /imagine, /vmware, /squid;

EOF

--- end script ---

Quoting Nicole Skyrca <nskyrca AT SYR DOT EDU>:

Hello,

I have two RedHat Enterprise Linux v. 2.4.21 that are setup in a cluster. Each server has local disks for the operating system, and the data is on a shared filesystem that is mounted from the SAN, but this filesystem is only mounted on the "primary" server. Each physical node in the cluster (db-server02a and db-server02b) is configured as a client in Networker, and backs up all savesets. I configured a client for the virutual cluster name (db-server02) and it only backs up the filesystem from the SAN.

The backup schedule is full once a month, incremental the rest of the month. Everytime I do a backup of the virtual machine, it does a full backup, even when it's scheduled for an incremental. The following is from the logs:

12/05/05 12:04:52 nsrd: savegroup info: db-server02.syr.edu:/mysql: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; performing a full backup

When I run mminfo, I don't see anything for db-server02, but do I see the entries for the SAN filesystem in db-server02a.

How do I backup the SAN filesystem with the vitual machine name so that it doesn't do a full backup every time?

I tried adding the file pathownerignore in the /usr/sbin directory as per the pathownerignore man page, but that didn't change the behavior.

A message in the Networker archives that suggested to "put "save -c virtual-name" in the Backup Command filed in the Remote tab." I've never put anything besides "savepnpc" in that field, so I don't think I fully understand what it's doing. Does this work? Has anyone had problems with it?

My backup server is running Solstice Backup 6.1.4 Build 562 on Solaris 8.

Thanks!
Nicole

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

Sebastian Schönwetter
Open2 BVBA
Steenweg op Brussel 149
1780 Wemmel