Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape offset

2005-11-16 10:50:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape offset
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:47:20 -0800
> At one of my sites, several tapes seem to be reading the label wrong.
> Instead of picking up the label name on the tape such as Weekly.001 for
> barcode 000200, it picks up the name Weekly.200 for the label name. Two
> batches of tapes appear to have this problem. In all of the cases seen
> so far there is a tape that is already using that barcode.

I'm uncertain what you mean by "picking up the name".  Do these tapes
already exist in the database (they've been labeled previously), or are
you trying to get them labeled now (using label rules)?

What you describe is possible if you either reuse barcodes or have
multiples of a barcode.  While a volume name is supposed to be unique in
the database the barcode doesn't have to be.

The question is, does that other tape still exist, and does it have that
barcode?

> The tapes where this occurred are from last december and january, yet a
> tape from 3 years ago is ok and a tape from a week ago is ok. It seems a
> few tapes have an offset problem where they are reading part of the
> barcode (last 3 digits) and using it as part of the label name.

Networker shouldn't be using the barcode as anything to do with the name
of the volume except when it is labeled.  What does this display?

mminfo -av -q 'barcode=000200' -r 'volume,barcode,volaccess'