Networker

Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length

2005-11-03 18:34:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length
From: Matthew Robert <Matthew.Robert AT AU.EY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:33:50 +1100
This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

Hi Teresa,

An error message is generated in the nsr\log\messages file like this:-

Feb 12 22:32:43 ausydnntbck4: * ausydnmeyfs02:E:\ save: path length of 257
too long, directory not saved:

On the next line it will print the path itself.

Cheers,
Matt
Matthew Robert | Data Backup & Retention Administrator | Ernst & Young
Services Pty Limited | Direct: (02) 9248 4784 | Fax: (02) 9248 5316
E-mail: matthew.robert AT au.ey DOT com | Please note our new address: Ernst &
Young Centre, 680 George Street, Sydney 2000
Catch up on the latest E&Y news at http://www.ey.com/au

Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/11/2005 10:15
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
All email is logged and may be reviewed - Refer policy FP206

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length

In 7.1.3, when the limit is reached, is a warning generated?  Or do
files/directories get skipped without any notification?

Thanks.
Teresa

This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

We are running 7.1.3 (on W2k3) and the maximum length is 255 characters.

Any longer and Legato doesnt back these directories up.

Cheers,
Matt

Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/11/2005 10:43
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
All email is logged and may be reviewed - Refer policy FP206

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme path length

In regard to: [Networker] Missing files on backup due to extreme
path...:

> We recently discovered that Networker is not backing up files when the

path
> length exceeds ~140 characters.

Which I wouldn't consider extreme, by today's standards.

This is definitely a serious problem, especially if it is really still
present in 7.2.1.  Others have reported it in 7.1.2 and in the NetWare
7.2
client, but I was under the impression that it was fixed in 7.1.3 and
would be fixed in 7.2.1.

> Environment:
> -- Networker 7.1.2 and 7.2.1 Build 311 (we upgraded just in case)

Did you perform a new full, after upgrading to 7.2.1, to make sure that
you weren't still depending on a bad backup from 7.1.2?

Just as an FYI, I've done a test restore of a file that had a full path
(starting at the root of its filesystem, not at /) that was 168
characters, and that worked fine.

We're using 7.1.3 build 421, both on client and server (both Linux).

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

type
"signoff networker" in the

--------------------
NOTICE - This communication contains information which is confidential
and the copyright of Ernst & Young or a third party.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please
delete and destroy all copies and telephone Ernst & Young on 1800 655
717 immediately. If you are the intended recipient of this communication
you should not copy, disclose  or distribute this communication without
the authority of Ernst & Young.

Any views expressed in this Communication are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views
of Ernst & Young.

Except as required at law, Ernst & Young does not represent, warrant
and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus,
interception or interference.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
Legislation.

type
"signoff networker" in the