Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 containers

2005-10-28 16:04:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 containers
From: "Moore, Joe" <jmoore AT UGS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:00:01 -0700
Darren Dunham wrote:
> Do you back up your global zone?  Do you set explicit
> excludes for your
> local zone data (so it's not being backed up twice)?

No, we're not backing up the global zone.  The global zone has a "no
unique information" policy -- we can jumpstart another one and get the
zones up and running on it faster than a restore.  (we do copy the
zone's .xml file to a common area, but this is not supported by Sun)
Non-global zones all live on the SAN.

The zoneroots are the only things mounted in the global, the rest of the
data filesystems are mounted to the specific zones (by specifying in the
zonecfg a physical and raw device).  This means that when we look at the
global zone, the complexity of the SAP data is hidden a bit.  I think it
would mean that Networker would miss it also.

--Joe