Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 containers

2005-10-28 15:15:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 containers
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:11:09 -0500
On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 11:18, Paula Ehn wrote:
> Quite some time ago, someone posted the question "Does Networker support
> Solaris 10 containers?"
>
> I haven't seen a response on this but thought I'd let you all know my
> experience so far with Solaris 10 containers and Networker.
>
> First off, Legato has formally told me that containers are not currently
> supported and have created an RFE for us. I've no word on the status of
> the RFE.
>
> We have a need to get not just the Networker Client but also the
> Networker Module for Oracle working with containers. The powers at be
> here have bought one large Sun box of which they want to run 4
> containers with Oracle DB's in 2 of the containers (Development and
> Production).  Putting the Networker Module for Oracle aside for the
> moment, I have started playing with the Networker Client SW v7.2.1 on
> this new Sun box.
>
> Installation of the Client SW is a little messy as /usr is only r/w in
> the global zone. In all of the containers, /usr is Read-only. So using
> all the defaults for the install of the client, I had to do the
> following:
> - install the client in the global zone. This works as expected and it
> can see the whole box and backs up and restores file systems as
> expected. Defining the saveset of All does find all mounted file
> systems.
>
> - Installation of the client SW on a container is a bit messy. The
> container can already see the Networker Client binaries and libraries
> etc installed in /usr but is missing /nsr as the container has a
> seperate root filesystem. It's also missing the start up script
> /etc/init.d/networker. These must be copied from the global zone and
> since the global zone can see everything on the box it must be done from
> the global zone.
> cp /nsr /export/zones/<zone name>/root
> cp /etc/init.d/networker /export/zones/<zone name>/root/etc/init.d

Forgot these 2 scripts so Networker will start automatically:
cp /etc/rc0.d/K05networker /export/zones/<zone name>/root/etc/rc0.d
cp /etc/rc2.d/S95networker /export/zones/oraprod/root/etc/rc2.d

> Now in the container you can start the client
> /etc/init.d/networker start
>
> Now you can backup the container but can not do so by using the saveset
> All. If you do, all you will get is one small file called
> /system/contract
> Not very useful. However, if you define the file systems like /, /opt,
> /var etc they seem to backup and restore fine.
>
> I'm quite sure in a similar if not a slightly more messy fashion, I can
> also get the Networker Module for Oracle working. My nightmare, is
> envisioning the future where I must stop all Oracle services (production
> as well as development) to upgrade the Networker Client SW of which the
> Networker Module for Oracle is dependent on. Of course, the same
> nightmare goes for the upgrade of Solaris on this box.
>
> Anyone else have any comments or gotchas on this?
> Paula

| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room E3-628 EITC     |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |