Networker

[Networker] sudden change in tape capacity?

2005-10-26 11:28:26
Subject: [Networker] sudden change in tape capacity?
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:27:07 -0400
All,

      Something very strange has happened to my storage node...
First of all, the node is a 126-slot Qualstar with 3 AIT-4 drives.
For a number of months, this unit has worked well.   It's attached
to an HP server running Fedora core 1.   I know this isn't officially
supported, but has always worked flawlessly on both the server
and this storage node.

         Something suddenly changed.   First, I had some really
weird robot-amr failures, including one instance where a tape
was sitting ejected from one of the drives and there was a tape
in the gripper arm waiting to be inserted.   I haven't seen that in
all of the 7 years I've been using Networker.   On at least
one occasion, I've attempted to move a tape with the library
front panel and received a message that the source was empty
(ejected tape) when it clearly was not.   And suddenly, the tapes
are being marked full with about 80 GB (these are AIT-4) with
no error messages showing up.  I'm using an Adaptec 39320A
and the AIC79XX driver. This is a dual channel card and I've switched the two
cables around -- no change -- just erratic behavior, and occasional time
when the robot arm doesn't move on program command (it always moves by
front panel)

I plan to install a different SCSI card -- 39160 to see if there's any
change.   Any ideas of what's going on?   Does this kind of erratic
scenario seem familiar to anyone?

Matt Temple
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!

"signoff networker" in the