Networker

[Networker] Level 9 vs. Incremental which is faster?

2005-10-10 14:16:44
Subject: [Networker] Level 9 vs. Incremental which is faster?
From: Dave Martini <martini1 AT MAIL.LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:56:08 -0700
Does a level 9 everynight backup more data than an incremental everynight?

I do Level 1 through 4 on each consecutive Wednesday so the first Wednesday
I do a level 1 and the next Wednesday I do a level 2 and the so on with Level 9's
each of the days in between.

My uderstanding is that a level 9 will backup all data since the previous lower level exclkuding level 9. so my Saturday backup will backup all data since Wednesday's level
1 for instance.

Does this mean that if a 1 gig file was changed on Thursday and then written to
tape on Friday and if that file wasn't changed again on Saturday that on Sunday's backup it will still backup that file since it goes back to Wednesday's level 1??

If I did incrementals it wouldn't backup this file on Sunday and thus less
data is written to that tapes?

Thanks much!
Dave Martini
LLNL