Networker

Re: [Networker] iptables firewall blocking access to nsrexecd on client?

2005-10-02 17:38:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] iptables firewall blocking access to nsrexecd on client?
From: Gary Goldberg <og AT DIGIMARK DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:36:42 -0400
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Patti Clark wrote:

Networker uses RPC calls.  You need portmap to be running on both client
and server.  You also need to add TCP/UDP 111 to your iptables.  You do
NOT need UDP 7937:7938.  This should clear up the complaints.

Thank you for the response, although I'm not certain it is fully useful. On
these machines (linux web and mail servers) I'm not running portmap, so port
111 is inactive. I'm pretty sure I need to provide access to ports 7937-7938,
but I still get the "Service not available" message. The second nsrexec
instance on port 7938  *is* Legato's version of the portmapper. Indeed, the
backup seems to be working correctly. I'm just concerned about the error
message -- whether it hints at other troubles down the line. -Gary

--
-- "You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone."
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW <og AT digimark DOT net> V:301/249-6501 F:301/390-1955

"signoff networker" in the