Networker

Re: [Networker] Resource/Guide/Link on applying Advanced File Type Devices

2005-09-21 05:56:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Resource/Guide/Link on applying Advanced File Type Devices
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:54:02 +0200
Andrew,

What is unclear is what you want to do with the disks.

Are you planning to do disk only backups or Disk first and then stage to tape?

There are limits on advanced file devices (as have been explaind before on
this list). If a file device is full any running backup stream will not
switch to a new disk automatic but will wait until space is availible on the
original target disk.

So in general (but your situation may differ) it is best to make a big single
volume. But many more performance related issues play a role here too.

Adv file devices can do read and write at the same time (with limits of
course). Basically this means backups and staging can run at the same time.
Or backups and recovers if the disk is used as a holding place for backups
for some time.

Many issues depend on what your targets are and how much data and how much
time you have for backups and restores.

I use disk backup only on a small scale for backing up laptop users during the
day when my tapes are busy doing cloning. 18Tb of data is big for me so my
advice could be wrong for your situation.

A more complete picture is helpful for better advice.

Maarten

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5