Networker

Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???

2005-09-16 09:37:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Running 7.2.1 ???
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:36:02 -0400
On Sep 16, 2005, at 2:02 AM, Oscar Olsson wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Stan Horwitz wrote:

SH> On Sep 15, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Yura Pismerov wrote:
SH>
SH> >
SH> >
SH> > Stan Horwitz wrote:
SH> >
SH> > > On Sep 13, 2005, at 5:46 PM, Jimeee Womack wrote:
SH> > > Last night, we did our first test of an NDMP recover. We successfully SH> > > recovered approx. 450GB worth of data to a test server via NDMP with SH> > > SnapImage. The test worked fine. As I write this message, I am backing
SH> > >
SH> >
SH> > Is it true that 7.2.1 can now do NDMP backups without employing the
SH> > Snapimage ?
SH>
SH> I tried doing a backup of around 450GB that way last night. Although I have SH> not had time to test that backup yet, it seems to have run fine on a
SH> non-NDMP device.
SH> I am going to try cloning the data tomorrow.

One problem however is that you still need SnapImage to recover data
backed up with SnapImage. This is a major problem if you have backed up data with a long retention period (in our case, one year). So you need to
have a drive configured as an NDMP device if you want to be able to
recover that data. This issue has been verified with EMC/Legato tech
support.

Fortunately, for my environment, that's not a major issue. I have one small server (50GB) that gets backed up via SnapImage that has a 3 month retention period. The other six NDMP servers here have only a one week retention period. Assuming my testing of this non-SnapImage backup works, I will get convert 3 of our 4 allocated NDMP devices to non-NDMP shortly and then convert the forth NDMP device to non-NDMP in three months after the last of our NDMP data exceeds its retention period.

"signoff networker" in the