Networker

Re: [Networker] NUL handshake - Firewall issue

2005-09-15 05:23:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] NUL handshake - Firewall issue
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:22:38 -0400
A tcp keepalive packet is sent over a tcp connection when there has not
been any traffic for the tcp keepalive interval a response from the host
involved indicates that it is still there - no reponse causes a packet to
be resent until there is a response or a limit is reached and then the
connection can be closed, so it only generates extra traffic if the
connection is idle, the RFC recommends? that this interval is 2 hours, but
people have set it as low as a few minutes on web servers ( to identify
hosts that have disconnected and so reclaim the connection). This setting
has been in the OS for a long time and was recognised as a way of
defeating firewall idle timeout periods ( by setting the keepalive
interval to be lower than the idle timeout period). The major drawback of
using this technique is that if you have a bad/busy network hosts
the connection. Applications can be made aware of this and can treat the
lose of connection in an intelligent manner, though off hand I don't know
of any that do.
To summarize there is little extra network traffic generated, it holds
firewalls open but risks disconnecting live hosts due to network problems.