Networker

[Networker] NetWorker for NetWare 7.2 - NDS backup problem

2005-09-13 06:30:42
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker for NetWare 7.2 - NDS backup problem
From: Allan Nelson <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:19:14 +0100
I have an odd problem with Netware client 7.2 and the NDS backup.

I have a client which specifies a saveset of 'All'.
I have TSANDS loaded on that client, so All includes the NDS ( {NDS}: )
The backup runs, all the volumes save as normal, into the correct tape pool (in
this case 'Lancaster')
However, the NDS backup wants a tape in the default pool and puts it on a tape
in that pool.

Anyone any ideas why it wants to use the default pool for the NDS?
(With v4.22 of the client, it worked as expected and everything went to the
correct pool).

Cheeers... Allan.

>>> Ryan.Tassotti AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU 13/09/05 01:39 >>>
Just as an update to this ..... I tried scheduled saves from a NetWare 6.5 SP4
client, and it works.  It would fail on a 6.5 SP3 client.  This is backing up
to a Networker 7.2 backup server.

Note that the NetWare TCP stack has been changed several times between SP3 and
SP4, and updating the TCP stack to tcp659j is specifically mentioned in the
release notes.

nw65sp3.exe (9 Mar 05):
\tcpd\tcp.nlm   707K   7 Jan 05
\tcpd\tcpip.nlm   835K   12 Jun 05
\tcpn\tcp.nlm    705K   7 Jan 05
\tcpn\tcpip.nlm   619K   12 Jun 05

tcp659j.exe (1 Jul 05):
\tcpd\tcp.nlm   710K   21 Apr 05
\tcpd\tcpip.nlm   835K   9 Jun 05
\tcpn\tcp.nlm    708K   21 Apr 05
\tcpn\tcpip.nlm   618K   9 Jun 05

nw65sp4.exe (30 Aug 05):
\tcpd\tcp.nlm   710K   20 Jul 05
\tcpd\tcpip.nlm   838K   22 Jun 05
\tcpn\tcp.nlm    708K   20 Jul 05
\tcpn\tcpip.nlm   621K   22 Jun 05

Cheers,
Ryan.

>>> Ryan.Tassotti AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU 13/09/2005 8:35:18 am >>>
I am having the same problem with scheduled saves from a Networker 7.2 server
to Netware 7.2 clients (NetWare 6.5 SP3).  Manual saves do work, however....
you may want to verify this yourself.

My next step was going to be downloading the patches recommended in the
Networker client for NetWare 7.2 release notes (TCP/IP patch, etc), and
retrying.

Cheers,
Ryan.

>>> a.horne AT SHEFFIELD.AC DOT UK 13/09/2005 12:53:36 am >>>
Hi Alan,

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:08:06 +0100, Allan Nelson <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK> wrote:

>Hi Andy
>Re 2 below
>I've seen something about this somewhere! and can't recall where -
>perhaps this list?
>
>Does it work if you specify the volumes to backup?  I seem to recall
>that was the crux of this issue.
>Be worth a try - until the problems fixed?

I saw someone else on this list had the same problem but didn't see any
solution.  I've tried specifying the volumes but I get the same error and
the backup fails.

>Re 3 below
>We're running Server 7.2.1 on Solaris 9 with Netware 4.22 client and
>I've successfully done...
>o Simple recover
>o Directed recover (to another client)
>o Save-set recover of a volume to another client.
>
>Cheeers... Allan.

Thanks,

Andrew Horne

   This message has passed through an insecure network.
    Please direct all enquiries to the message author.