Networker

[Networker] What's considered a "connection"?

2005-09-07 12:28:20
Subject: [Networker] What's considered a "connection"?
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:04:40 -0500
The basics:
        Networker 7.1.3 Network Edition
        Solaris 9
        3 SAN Storage Nodes
        Clients are a mix of Solaris, Lin-tel, and Win-tel

Network edition is limited to 64 simultaneous connections across all
storage nodes.  I'd like to know what's considered a connection.  Let's
say I'm backing up only one client.  This client has multiple streams
coming from it (i.e. /opt, /usr, /var or C:, D:, E:).  Does this count as
a single connection (just the client) or multiple connections (3 total,
one for each stream)?

We are adding some d2d backup devices and will be able to increae the
number of concurrent backups that we run.  I'd like to make sure that we
either don't hit the connection barrier or we plan for Enterprise edition.

(BTW:  I can't search the archives at teaparty.mathworks.com for this
answer.  My company and Mathworks are like the Hatfields and McCoys.  As a
result, Mathworks blocks all traffic from our ip range to anything they
host.  I appreciate them hosting the archives for everyone else, but does
anyone know of another searchable archive for this list?)

Thanks,
Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade