Networker

Re: [Networker] Netware saveset recover - "no data saved - try an earlier version"

2005-09-06 07:16:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netware saveset recover - "no data saved - try an earlier version"
From: Andrew Horne <a.horne AT SHEFFIELD.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:12:18 +0100
Hi,

I have found the cause of the problem and a way round it.

These files owned by the DOS name space have been around since before Novell changed the way DOS files were written to disk to match the format that Microsoft wrote DOS files to disk. I think this was changed around Netware 4. These files have been around and on-disk untouched since then and so retain these old attributes.

If the files are renamed in-place then they become owned by the LONG name space and so the DOS namespace issue is eradicated. Using JRBs whodidit.exe to identify the DOS owned files and then renaming the files with the same name, but lower-case, fixes them up. We have a large number of these files and any way of sidestepping this problem would be preferable.

Renaming directories in the DOS namespace may cause problems for Mac users that may have links or shortcuts with the path in.

The new ClientPak for Netware came out on Monday. This is version 7.2, I think it resolves some other problems we have been having but I have only done limited testing. It seems to introduce further problems, very slow at reading the index for a directed recover, and doing a save-set recover it restores all long names as short names with a tilde unless the backup was done with the same version client. The documentation says it should recover from tapes written by the old, 4.22, client.

Regards,

Andrew Horne

--

Andrew Horne