Networker

Re: [Networker] Stopped mounting tapes

2005-09-01 10:38:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stopped mounting tapes
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:38:12 -0400
On Sep 1, 2005, at 10:00 AM, Robert Maiello wrote:

Stan,

Yikes...

So your saying an nsrjb to inventory or load hangs?   I assume
the sji commands all work...ie sjirdtag returns an accurate inventory,
sjimm is able to move tapes (indicating a fully working arm).  You
didn't say how the drives and arm are connected (SCSI, fiber)?

I would sji commands first,  then nsrjb -HEv to reset the library
(assuming it doesn't hang) followed by an inventory.  That is on an
idle server.

If you have backups pending that need to complete I would give Networker what it wants.. mount all tapes manually until the pending mounts go away.

Could be anything from lock files in /nsr/tmp to a lus/SAN problem.

Thanks. I ended up killing off all the autostarted jobs that were waiting for tapes. I did that a few minutes ago. Shut down the NSR daemons, then cleared out /nsr/tmp of files. Then I rebooted the server. As soon as I did a "nsrjb -HEv" it all became clear. I think when our tape library was upgraded, our SE enabled hardware tape cleaning and its also enabled in NSR's jukebox resource, so I think there's a conflict. I have to go across campus to inspect this tape library (its a few blocks from my office) and I suspect I will find an error on the library's console about failed tape cleaning.

"signoff networker" in the