Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Reporting

2005-08-31 15:45:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Reporting
From: robert <robz AT zweistra DOT nl>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:36:43 +0200
We do a very extensive way of reporting under windows.
First of al we run a script(dos find command) that goes through the logs to
find relevant information and make a completely new mail (BLAT free mail
program for setting smtp mailout sever) out of that with 4 possible
subjects.

Succes is what we call all clients within the group were backed up.

Bootstrap which actually is the bootstrap print but then in a mail.

Cloneinfo which is all the info we need about the clones including the
volumes used.

And finally FAILED which is any backup none of the above.

We archive the mails per backupserver and in that mailfolder per subject as
mentioned above.

Extra Secondly
We export the entire mediadb to a SQL database which is not as difficult and
timeconsuming as you might expect.
This in turn we query automatically from a webpage.
This way all info is available every 3 hours, kind of semi realtime info.
There is a button on the website to sent a mail to one of the persons or
group in a pulldown(can be scheduled if needed but why should we?).
The website is faster and more up to date and available to everyone
including management). The mail is handy when out of the office and outside
the firewall :) and for future proof of failure or success.
There is much to say for both we use them mixed.