Networker

Re: [Networker] How can I create a client directive to fix this?

2005-08-29 11:52:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] How can I create a client directive to fix this?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:48:34 -0700
> subsequent releases. Anyway, I have two nsr client resources. Resource 1
> of 2 lists the following saveset:
>
> /a/exports/data/data0
>
> and uses 'Unix standard directives'
>
> Resource 2 of 2 lists 'All' and also uses a custom directive to skip
> and/or null some other path names, but not data0. Additionally, for the
> client, I have the following client side directive located under
> /a/exports/data:
>
> << data0 >>
> +null: .?* *
>
> When I run resource 1 of 2, nothing gets backed up. I guess I don't
> understand why the .nsr file would affect this since it's located one
> level up from the path (/a/exports/data/0-data) that's specified. I
> would understand if it was located inside data0, but it's not.

'save' attempts to read all .nsr files from where it is up to the root.
This may seem strange, but it certainly prevents inconsistencies between
two otherwise identical filesystems that may just have different mount
points.

man -s 5 nsr
[...]
     The following algorithm  is  used  to  match  files  to  the
     appropriate  ASM  specification.  First the .nsr file in the
     current directory (if any) is scanned from top to bottom for
     an  ASM  specification  without  a leading "+" whose pattern
     matches the file name.  If no match is found, then the  .nsr
     in the current directory is re-scanned for an ASM specifica-
     tion with a leading "+" whose pattern matches the file  name
     (for  clarity,  we  recommend  placing all propagating ("+")
     directives after all the  non-propagating  directives  in  a
     .nsr  file).  If no match is found, then the .nsr file found
     in the ".." directory (if any) is scanned from top to bottom
     looking  for  a  match  with an ASM specification that has a
     leading +.  This process continues until the  .nsr  file  in
     the "/" directory (if any) is scanned.  If no match is found
     (or a match is found with an ASM specification whose name is
     the  same  as the currently running ASM), then the currently
     running ASM will handle the save of the file.

> I want
> the index entries to remain after resource 2 of 2 runs, so this is why I
> have the null directive. How can I do this if I want to use a client
> side directive?

I don't see any easy way to do so.  Treating different instances
differently is certainly where I'd expect to use a server-side
directive.