Networker

Re: [Networker] Second IP on Server

2005-08-26 13:12:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Second IP on Server
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:12:02 -0700

> I am on a 100mb network.  Trying to make my back ups faster. My hp server
> has a single network interface card with two ports. I have a library with 2
> sdlt 320's rated at 16MB per second per driver. I am averaging 6 or 7 MB
> per second per drive. What I thought I could do is assign a second ip to
> the other nic.  Then go around and change half my host files so that
> half

Host files on the clients, right?

> my servers would backup on the other ip, basically increase my input to the
> backup server. I did the experiment but networker is giving me a connection
> refused. The client recognises the fully qualified domain name and the
> second ip. I am a windows environment. Is there any configuration on the
> networker server that needs to done.

Requests will still probably appear to come from the primary interface
on the server.  Do the clients still authorize that interface (you
changed it's name in the host file).

Easier than changing the hostfile on the client might be changing the
'server network interface' attribute in the client config.  Put a name
in there that the client will resolve to the other server IP and you
should be good.