Networker

Re: [Networker] MacOSX 10.4 client

2005-08-25 04:16:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] MacOSX 10.4 client
From: Vandecruys Kris <Kris.Vandecruys AT NBB DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:15:21 +0200
Richard,

.._ files and folders are hidden metadata items, which on a HFS+ volume
would be in a separate file fork.
however if you use FAT or UFS filesystems, where no resource forks
exist, these files are created.
Finder knows this and integrates it seamlessly, but if you go in via
Terminal (or any other direct access app) you'll see them.

Nick,

for spotlight, the indices are stored in a directory /.Spotlight-V100
and metadata about the file is stored either in the resource fork,
or in separate cache files in Library/Caches (for Address Book, eg). you
should never try to restore just the spotlight index, as this will break
things for sure. If you restore a file, the kernel will see this, and
invoke normal indexing procedures, so newly restored files are
integrated in spotlight (if there is an Importer available for it
ofcourse).

Kind Regards,

Kris

Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

"DISCLAIMER: The content of this e-mail message should not be construed
as binding on the part of the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) unless
otherwise and previously stated. The opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect NBB
viewpoints, particularly when the content of this message, or part
thereof, is private by nature or does not fall within the professional
scope of its author."