Networker

[Networker] No unique Netbios name

2005-08-24 15:10:41
Subject: [Networker] No unique Netbios name
From: "Ekstrom, Jeffery" <jekstrom AT SANZ DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:04:44 -0600
We're trying to backup development, testing, and production environments where
they all share the same netbios name, but are in different domains.

For example

server1.server.dev
server1.server.lab
server1.server.prod

I have experienced a few problems with this:

1. I have to add the different clients with the same netbios name to the other
client's remote access list.

For example

server1.server.dev's remote access list:
*@server1.server.lab <mailto:*@server1.server.lab>
*@server1.server.prod <mailto:*@server1.server.prod>

Networker prompts me at client creation that it thinks I am creating members of
a cluster.

2. My client file indexes are all screwed up. My dev server's savesets are
being written into the index for the lab server. This leaves me without the
ability to recover savesets unless I know the time they were completed.

How can I fix this?
I have tried creating aliases in my host table, then creating clients with the
alias name.

For example

10.10.10.10     server1.server.dev  dev1

then I created a client called dev1 with the server's real name in the alias
field, but my backups would not run at all then. I got "nothing to save"

Has anyone on this list experienced anything similar?

Any advice or best practices would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff Ekstrom