Networker

[Networker] Staging to Advanced File Type devices

2005-08-16 17:10:15
Subject: [Networker] Staging to Advanced File Type devices
From: Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:05:40 -0400
Hello All,

We have 10 TB of "Advanced File Type" disk used to stage our data. The
disk is broken up into 14 700 GB file systems. The problem we are having
is that NetWorker does not distribute the data evenly across these file
systems. When selecting a device for backup, NetWorker always seems to
pick the disk that has the most data. If one disk is at 8% full, and
another is at 75% full, it will use the one with 75%.

Of course this makes sense when backing up to tape, but causes a variety
of problems when using disk. For example, it makes it very difficult to
maintain a uniform retention period for the data on disk.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and is there a way to even out the
data distribution.

Thanks very much.

Mark
University of Western Ontario