Networker

Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup

2005-08-15 09:59:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] EMC/Legato-NetWorker vs Veritas-NetBackup
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:55:01 -0400
Well,

As one person remarked, it was TSM I was thinking of when I remarked that there was a backup software package that prided itself on this concept of infinite incrementals or some such thing. A google search on TSM shows the following as the first hit:

IBM *Tivoli* *Storage* *Manager* - Product overview <http://www.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/storage-mgr/>

(http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/storage-mgr/)

wherein it mentions as one advantage:
"Intelligent backups and restores utilizing a revolutionary progressive incremental backup and restore strategy, where only new and used files are backed up"

Not sure if I like that approach or not. Should I like that? Why does that make me nervous??? Can anyone attest to this feature being good or bad? Has anyone played with this, or can you defend or aver this type of feature? Sounds suspect to me. After all, won't you end up with a ton of tapes to do recovers unless they conglomerate backups? Hmm ...

George

Oscar Olsson wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Siobhan Ellis wrote:

SE> I agree with this. In the end, it will come down to potential piece of SE> functionality that you want. Interestingly enough, Veritas often SE> steals customers away from legato by just giving them the software - SE> or as near damnit!

OK, so NetBackup and Networker both suck. :) How about TSM then? In particular, platform support, sharing of media between storage nodes, price, support, and NDMP support (ie no dedicated drive or extra software or any of that crap). I know this has been brought up before, and might seem a bit off-topic but I think many of us are interested to know, since its not easy to find a fairly non-biased opinion on this topic.

//Oscar