Networker

Re: [Networker] Hidden verbose savegroup option?

2005-08-12 11:33:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hidden verbose savegroup option?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:32:54 -0500
Sorry, must not have been clear.   The files created under /nsr/tmp are on
the server, not the client.  And I'm not entirely sure what the effect of
adding v's is.  Except that more obviously must be better.  :-)

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             George Sinclair
             <George.Sinclair@
             NOAA.GOV>                                                  To
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            Re: [Networker] Hidden verbose
                                       savegroup option?

             08/12/2005 10:29
             AM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
              George Sinclair
             <George.Sinclair@
                 NOAA.GOV>

What exactly is the difference between all those 'v's? It's not clear
from the man page for savegrp what adding three v's versus two versus
one accomplishes. Can you just keep adding 'v's ad infinitum?

Anyway, I ran this as 'savegrp -vvv group_name' and it did generate a
fair amount of information on what files were backed up for the affected
savesets. Kinda cool. I see the same information in the savegroup e-mail
completion notification. It also shows up in the group control window,
too, and in the servers /nsr/logs/messages file. However, I see nothing
under /nsr/tmp on the client, not even when I was running it. I tried
doing this from the GUI also by setting Verbose on under the group, and
again, it generates the information in the savegroup notification and
the group control window, but I see nothing under /nsr/tmp.

George

Ty Young wrote:

>George, I think I know what you're referring to.
>
>(Under NW7x, but I think it worked under 6.x as well) If you manually kick
>off a savegroup from the command-line with
>
>      savegrp -vvv
>
>you can watch the backups progress as details concerning not only
savesets,
>i.e. which files are backed up during an incremental, etc. but also things
>like client versions, # of CPUs on the client, etc.    This used to be a
>tool Legato Support suggested for use with the Probe option of savegroup
>(i.e. savegrp -vvv -p) which would basically check for connectivity
between
>the server's nsrd and the client's nsrexec[d] processes.
>
>What I have found more recently is that using the "-vvv" flag when running
>actual backups can be very dangerous. The reason is that (as you have
>correctly said below) the 'vvv' option turns on something in NetWorker to
>make it generate a file-by-file listing in /nsr/tmp of everything backed
up
>for a given saveset.  If you (like I have in the past) do this with a
large
>(i.e. 1 TB) saveset, the temp file can become very large very quickly.
>If this becomes too large, apparently NetWorker chokes on it and deletes
>the file.  If, upon saveset backup completion, NetWorker can't find that
>file [because it was previously deleted] it restarts the backups from 0
MB.