Networker

Re: [Networker] How to speed up the backup......

2005-08-11 06:07:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to speed up the backup......
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:06:02 +0200
Srinivas,

As you are using CM Synergy any backup of the filesystem is abolutely
worthless without the corresponding database images.

Telelogic will not support any backups outside of its own backup method, it
does mention other ways of backing up the data but they are always at your
own risk.

Furthermore if you backup the filesystem separate it is mandatory that there
are no changes in the database in the mean time as that would render any
restore worthless.

We also use Synergy here so I do have some experience with the product.

As it is virually impossible to get a fast backup of a synergy filesystem due
to the zillion of small files ,in your case NFS will just make is slower.

If confronted with your setup where data is not local to any system but on a
filer, I would try for some snapshot backup.

If it is possible to take a full snapshot of the NFS filesystem you can
actually extend yout backup window to 24 hours, just make sure that the
snapshot is taken at the same time that your synergy databases are in
protected mode, or even better shutdown the entire Synergy application first.

After backing up the database images (in our case Informix) you can then
backup the NFS snapshot while developers can start working again.

Timing in this is very critical and as I mentioned not supported by telelogic
so you would have to verify that a restore actually recovers a correct state
of the synergy databases.

I hope it gives you some direction to think about

Maarten

P.S. I assume that backing up with ccm commands is out of the question? Due to
time constraints

On Thursday 11 August 2005 11:27, Srinivas Rao wrote:
> Dear Networkers,
> We have two Networker clients by name ingbtc01 and ingbtc02 with NFS mounts
> from EMC Clarion and Celerra filers. These NFS mounts have around ten
> million small files(CM Synergy data files) and because of this our backup
> window is getting increased  from 12 hrs to 20 hrs. We have DBO Tier1
> license. I have tried backing up to filetype device and then to tape but it
> did not help me because backing up to the file type device was taking the
> same time as backing up to the tape. As we cannot go for NDMP license,
> please let me know which is the best method to backup the above two clients
> within threshold window(14 hrs). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Srinivas Rao,
> Technical Support Engineer - Legato,
> Philips Software Centre,
> Bangalore, India.
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam