Networker

[Networker] Active Directory

2005-07-27 17:13:35
Subject: [Networker] Active Directory
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:04:21 -0600
Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed several times on this list, and
I've even asked this question before as part of a broader email.
However, I was told again today by a couple of people who have gone to
active directory training that doing a backup of active directory is not
as simple as it sounds.

>>From what I was told by people on this list earlier (mostly in personal
saveset for a Networker client which also happens to be the active
directory master, that active directory will get backed up (via the
SYSTEM STATE or other similar saveset).

I've had people who have been to some active directory training tell me
that the only way to back up active directory is to boot the machine up
with active directory disabled and use Microsoft tools to back it up.  I
know thats how you have to recover active directory.

This is with Networker 7.1.3 (both server and client).

I don't have the resources to test a recover of our active directory
right now to answer my own question.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator