Networker

[Networker] No Index Save Question

2005-07-19 12:39:22
Subject: [Networker] No Index Save Question
From: Randy Doering <rdoering AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:36:12 -0400
Greetings, I'm in the midst of trying to get a full backup of a file system
that is alittle of 4 TB and contains more than 132 Million files.

When I started this yesterday, I noticed it was backing up at around 20-22
MB/s, and I started to calculate how many hours this would take after it
had filled the first tape.

Well, today it is backing up at 150-190 KB/s and the System CPU is pegged.
At this rate, we looking at at least a month to get this backup finished.
We have concluded that the system is trying to keep the index information
and that is the reason for the slow down.

I have noticed a button in the Group that is called: "No Index Save". So,
what does this button actually mean?

We are in the middle of moving the file systems from an HP-EVA based file
system to an EMC Centerra, and was planning on restoring to the EMC
Centerra.

So, will using the "No Index Save" speed things along and more importantly
will I be able to restore?

Thanks,
Randy