Networker

Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 5 Jul 2005 to 6 Jul 2005 (#2005-164)

2005-07-11 05:35:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 5 Jul 2005 to 6 Jul 2005 (#2005-164)
From: Steve Law <Steve.Law AT CGI-EUROPE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:19:05 +0100
Hi,

This is my first post to the list. I've recently taken over management of a
window
servers backup setup and a large tape library (HP ESL9000). It uses
Networker 7.1.3, and I've been familiarising myself with Networker and how
it's been configured.

We have clients, groups, pools and schedules etc, and run 4 backups a night:
an SQL and flat file backup of groups of production and development servers.
I'm used to running a simple small tape library where you put in the tapes
you want to use every night, and as long as they're past their retention
period they're overwritten. But this tape library setup has 6 tape drives
and about 200 tapes which mostly remain in the library, except that every
day the previous night's backups are sent off site to return in 2 weeks
time. when we archive 3 or 4 off every month for indefinite storage.

I have two questions/issues:

1) The jobs ate staggered but not so much that 2 or even 3 can be running at
the same time. The result is that the night's backups are spread over at
least 3 tapes. These tapes can sometimes be expired tapes completely
overwritten, or contain as yet unexpired data which is appended to. This all
makes it very difficult to identify where the data has gone, and if tapes
are to be archived off sometimes older but not yet expired data previously
written to the tapes has to go off too.
I would like to tell Networker to only write to blank/expired tapes, and/or
force it to write to specific tapes.

How can I do that?

Thanks,

Steve Law
Server Analyst
(WIntel - MSLPS)
+44 1256 849 019

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.