Networker

[Networker] Two VSS questions

2005-07-05 11:40:13
Subject: [Networker] Two VSS questions
From: "Moore, Joe" <jmoore AT UGS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:29:19 -0400
I have two questions about the new (NW7.x) VSS "feature", now that I've
(mis)configured our new Networker server to use it.

First, the VSS SYSTEM SERVICES: saveset was backing up the entire MSSQL
database.  Every day.  35GB that I wasn't expecting for an Incr backup.
So, assuming I want to use VSS, how do I determine the list of "writers"
that I need to disable so that Networker isn't backing up the same data
multiple times?  The Admin guide says to put "VSS:writer=off", but
what's the Writer for MS SQL server?

Second, I don't think we'll be buying the VSS license (we're in Eval
mode even though we've purchased the server license).  How do I get the
savegroup messages to stop advertising the VSS "feature" with the lines:

 usslsldb001:L:\ save: VSS Snapshot is disabled for L:\ and will not be
used.

?

Any help would be appreciated.

--Joe