Networker

Re: [Networker] Cluster License

2005-06-29 11:52:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cluster License
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:49:16 -0500
On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:43:56AM -0400, Matthew C. Aycock wrote:
> It is my understanding that to backup a cluster I will need three
> licenses: 2 client licenses (1 for each node) and 1 cluster license.
> My question is, will this allow Networker to backup the cluster AND
> survive a failover? For example, if I am doing a backup of the cluster
> and it decides to failover, what happens to the current streams? Are
> they going to get restarted on the new master node? If not, what does
> this "license" buy me?

I don't know if NT clusters are different than Unix clusters, but I know
for Windows 2003 we had to have a cluster client license for each
physical node.  I'm not sure if they also use traditional client
licenses, but I'm pretty sure the virtual cluster clients we created do.
(ie: you only need cluster licenses for the physical nodes - the actual
virtual cluster resources use normal licenses.)

I've never tried to fail over a service during a backup.  I imagine if
there was a hiccup, if you have the savegroup set to retry, it would try
again and, if the failover was successful, it would start a new backup
from the new master.  Just from my observations, I don't think a backup
would survive a failover without failing and retrying.  I haven't tested
that.

On 7.1.2, I had to patch both the client and the server for different
cluster related issues, and I'm still troubleshooting a few more.  This
is Legato - they charge more because they can... but I can say that
cluster backups are a more complicated beast.

Dave