Networker

Re: [Networker] Netapp, ndmp, and incremental backups.

2005-06-16 17:12:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netapp, ndmp, and incremental backups.
From: Ernst Bokkelkamp <ernst AT BOKKELKAMP DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:11:48 +0200
You are absolutely right, subsequent level 1 backups do not work.

Please note that you must look very carefully at the exact wording and the
placement of the level description in the documentation.
Full followed by multiple level 1 does function like incremental on normal
(not NDMP) backups and mostlikely NDMP backups, but not with NetApp. You
must consider that the level is passed on to the dump application, and the
NetApp dump command works differently.
Whereas Networker will backup only the changes that occurred since a level
of the same value (simplified explenation) the Ontap dump command does a
backup of all changes since the next lower level (note:

>From a previous message:

>   0-9     Dump levels.  A level 0, full backup, guarantees the entire file
>           system is copied.  A level number above 0, incremental backup,
>           tells dump to copy all files new or modified since the last dump
of
>           a lower level.
>
>           The default dump level is 0.

The wording of the Networker manual is differs: