Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering from multiple savesets in parrallel

2005-06-09 17:13:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering from multiple savesets in parrallel
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:11:54 -0500
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:33:47PM -0500, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Recovering from multiple savesets in...:
>
> >I just started a restore that read multiple savesets at the same time.
> >I recall noticing parallel recovers after we upgraded from 6.0.2 to
> >7.1.2.  At 6.0.2, I'm pretty sure they were serial.
>
> Isn't there a file you can touch in /nsr/debug on the server that will
> enable parallel restores?  I can't remember the file name and it's not
> turning up doing a `strings' on the nsr*d binaries, but you could probably
> figure it out by doing a truss (or your platform's equivalent, e.g. strace
> on Linux) on `nsrd' with the `-f' option on your server, and then do
> a recover of a single file.  You should see one of the daemons involved
> in the process call either "access()" or "open()" or "stat()" on one or
> more files in /nsr/debug.  One of those is the file that enables parallel
> recovers.
>
> Of course, I could have imagined all this too.  ;-)

/nsr/debug/no_striped_recover

which I have on my system to fix some problems restoring indexes (nsrck
-L7) after a server move.  I'm not quite sure how that fixed it.  Turns
out the restore I started early WAS working in serial - I hadn't
realized at the time the other restores in the session list were queued
and weren't in progress.  Aw well.

Dave