Networker

Re: [Networker] Files changed during save.

2005-06-01 18:00:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Files changed during save.
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:58:20 -0700

> When a file changes during the save process, which of the following does
> networker do?
>
> Example:
> :/u02 save: Warning - `/u02/oradata/LSP1/cntrl_LSP1_3.ctl' changed during save
>

> A) Backups the original file.
> B) Backups the new changed file.

It's not that there's an "original" and "new" file, there's just one
file that's being changed.  Networker is backing it up, a piece at a
time, at the same time.

So you could have the first bit of a file at one point in time, and then
other bits of the file from another (later) point in time.

So if you imagine a file that contains all '1's and then during a backup
it's rewritten to be all '2's, then you might have a backup file that
looks like:  11111111111111111112222222222222222222222

Such a file never existed on the disk at any point in time, but that's
what's on tape.

The warning from networker is just that: a warning.  It's up to you and
your applications to know if the changed file is bad.  Oracle
tablespaces in hot-backup mode are constantly changing, but the way they
change is known to oracle, so the backup files are good for recovery.
If you follow the correct Oracle procedure for how files are saved,
there wouldn't be a problem.  If they're not in hot-backup mode and
you're just grabbing the files, then they might not be consistent for
recovery.

(If you're on windows and using an open file manager, then there is a
snapshot process going on, and you do back up an "old" file.  I don't
believe there's anything similar on Unix unless you're working with
explicit snapshots.  From your example file, I'm presuming you're
dealing with Unix).