Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape0 gone into service mode.

2005-06-01 06:52:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape0 gone into service mode.
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:52:55 +0100
Andrew Bridgeman wrote:
> I have just put 26 new tapes into my Tape Library but ever since this has
> been done Tape 0 has gone into service mode and when i do a full inventory
> of all 26 slots tape 12 comes up with erors like:
>
> moving tape_bsf failed uknown error 1104 (0x450) (26843656)
>
> The obvious thing to do is to try a different tape which is what i am going
> to do now and also use a cleaning tape in the drive, however the drive is
> only a month old so i do not see why this should need to be done already.
>
> Once i have done this how to up the threshhold of my maximum error value?
> and also how do i get the tape drive back to normal mode not service mode?

Some of the responses you have received on this are not particularly
valid, since this looks like perfectly normal behaviour in the
circumstances.

Stan is right, it makes no sense to inventory blank tapes. If you do
this, then every time you load a tape NetWorker will attempt to read the
label and find no label on the tape, thus interpreting it as an error.
When you reach 20 consecutive errors on a drive, NetWorker will assume
there is a problem with the drive and put it into service mode,.
Normally this is the right thing to do since it allows NetWorker to
continue with backups on another drive when a drive fails.

You didn't need to clean the drive in this case, and sometimes cleaning
a drive when it has not requested it is a bad idea.

I would advise against increasing the max consecutive errors value, as
if you do it will take a lot longer for NetWorker to identify a genuine
tape drive problem. All you need to do is re-enable the drive and
continue as normal. Remember not to inventory lots of blank tapes in the
future. Once you have labelled them the problem won't occur again.