Networker

[Networker] subtree backups

2005-05-29 13:33:59
Subject: [Networker] subtree backups
From: Dave Gold - News <dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 13:22:43 -0400
Hi,

Legato's nsr_client or uasm page or one of those says that you can't use a "*"
in the saveset name, which makes this much more difficult. (It appears that it
works, but when you go to restore a saveset, you have to specify paths, and it
is unsupported, so it is possible that going forward it may simply not work).

This leaves you with the client-side script idea, and hard coding the subtree
paths.

Hard coding is much easier, both in implementation and in maintenance, than a
client-side script that replaces save.exe.
You could set your saveset as:
x:\projects\path1
x:\projects\path2
x:\projects\path3

This will get you three streams, working around both tape limitations
(depending on your specific config, of course), although this requires that
your projects be broken up intelligently. If the problems is that you have lots
of small files, this will also get around the kernel limitations on doing NTFS
file/directory lookups, although give your size, I'm suspecting your average
file size isn't the issue.

One theme that we've seen a lot of recently is that when you have a partition
that large, and backups become an issue, it gives you and opportunity to step
back and look at your policies for sizing of partitions. If you include backup
requirements as well as technical limitations of partition sizing, you may
decide to look at your internal best practices.

If you've ever done a chkdsk of a 1TB+ NTFS file system on Windows, you'll know
what I'm speaking of. (Unless you are using a different file system, like VxFx,
that is).

You may also want to consider using Windows mount points that are at a subtree
level--x:\projects is one partition, x:\projects2 is another, etc. Having large
partitions is inherently a risk, even with NTFS5's journaling--if you ever have
to do a boot time checkdsk on that drive, you are in for hours of delay in
booting. If you have several partitions under the x: drive, NetWorker will
inherently create multiple save streams for them.

BTW, we've done the client-side script, and it is more difficult than you would
think. Lots of details to understand, and unless you understand the subtle
NetWorker issues (automatic directive creation, automatic mount point
generation, root partition backups, etc), you may find that it is a maintenance
headache, and misses important data to boot.

So I guess I have one question--is your directory structure condusive to simply
hard-coding the saveset to something simple, or do you have a particularly wide
or deep directory structure that doesn't work with this?

Dave