Networker

Re: [Networker] 2005 EMC Technology Summit

2005-05-18 22:45:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] 2005 EMC Technology Summit
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:40:46 -0400
On May 18, 2005, at 9:02 PM, David Browning wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, as I just found out about it yesterday at the EMC
Technology summit. You don't know how frustrating it was to hear about this, as I've been a Legato user since 1998 (version 4). Many a times I
wish I could have talked to other Networker users.

As for the conference, Legato did not bring a huge presence to the
conference, but at least it's a start.

I'm going to a birds of a feather meeting on Thursday morning, and just wanted to know if anyone had questions. We will be meeting with one of
the product managers of Legato - his main area of responsibility is
product usability. They announced that in fall/winter of 2005, they will be releasing a basic version of NMC (networker management console) to all users, with a more advanced version (with additional reporting capability)
at an additional cost.

If you have any questions you would like me to direct to him, please let me know. ALso, if you have any comments/concerns about USING the product
(such as too many GUI's / GUI's not the same across OS), please let me
know.

Welcome to the Networker list. I manage this list (with some help when I go away). A tech support engineer introduced me to this list. A few months after I first subscribed to the Networker list, I volunteered to run it when its founder had to divest himself of his involvement with this list.

Thanks for offering to relay questions for us. I do have some questions for you to raise at the EMC Technology Summit. Being a Unix and Mac OS X advocate, I avoid using Windows as much as possible. That being said, the NetWorker Administration GUI for Windows is far better then its nwadmin counterpart on Unix. What I would like to know is if the features of the Windows administrator GUI will be brought over to the Unix version or, even better, if a common platform independent Java based NetWorker management GUI is in the pipeline. One of the features I really like on the Windows NetWorker Administration tool is the ability to click on a group resource entry and see which clients are assigned to it. I also like the feature where the view options are retained each time the GUI is started.

In addition, I am also curious if the Mac OS X NetWorker version will be "GUIfied" and NetWorker server capability added to the Mac. Speaking of Mac OS X. Will Legato/EMC certify NetWorker to work with Apple's latest Mac OS X version, Tiger? I tried backing up and recoverying about 50GB worth of data to the Mac G5 I use in my office after I upgraded it to Tiger. It did work, although the recover utility hung after the list bit of data was received and it displayed a broken pipe error after about five minutes.

Thanks,

Stan