Networker

Re: [Networker] Stand Alone Tape Drive Unmounting

2005-05-03 18:21:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stand Alone Tape Drive Unmounting
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 23:14:19 +0100
King, David - Eastman wrote:
> I just found out from Legato that, starting with version 7,  an Unmount
> command on a single tape drive actually ejects the tape.   They told me
> this in response to a case.
>
> This has cause me a great deal of angst, and now I'm faced with
> retraining dozens of end users!
>
> I am upset!.    I've sent my concerns to my Legato rep.
>
> Why is Legato changing things like this?   How can I reread a tape
> already in the drive?  How can I change the tape mode with it mounted?

What are you saying here? The nsrmm command always had two modes of
unmounting:
"nsrmm -u" to just unmount, or
"nsrmm -j" to unmount and eject.
Have they changed this (that would be really bad IMO), or have they
changed the GUI to do a "nsrmm -j" rather than a "nsrmm -u" ?

I agree that they probably shouldn't change things such as this, but
what is it that causes you such a problem? How do your users use
NetWorker that means this is a problem? Give us some more details and
perhaps we can collectively come up with an answer.