Networker

Re: [Networker] Schedules

2005-04-14 10:44:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Schedules
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:39:48 +0100
Alain Richard wrote:
>>I've never worked anywhere where the fulls are less frequent than
>>weekly. It amazes me to hear of people doing their fulls only monthly or
>>quarterly. These people must need to be paranoid about re-running any
>>failures ASAP.
>

> Hum! We do monthly full and I have no problem to sleep. But for doing this
> and make sure everything is perfect, we clone all the full and weekly
> levels. That way, we are sure there something on the original tape and it
> is readable. So if a problem occur on a tape we always have an other copy
> of it. I like it that way, I've seen to many place were they are thinking
> they do backup but at the end, there were nothing useful or readable on
> those tape.

I suppose it's not too bad if you put some low level backups in on a
weekly basis, with higher levels or incrementals daily. The real
nightmare scenario would be a monthly full and daily incrementals, and
the server that goes down the day before the next full. I would not wish
to run a restore that needed a full and 30 incrementals to provide a
point-in-time recovery.