Networker

Re: [Networker] recycle sledge hammer?

2005-04-01 14:40:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] recycle sledge hammer?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:36:56 -0600
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:58:31AM -0600, rader AT GINSENG.HEP.WISC DOT EDU
wrote:
> I just wrote up these crib notes... and I wonder if
> there's anything wrong with them... or if some of you
> some versed networker folks have comments about them?
>
> steve
> - - -
> systems & network manager
> high energy physics
> university of wisconsin
>
> it's april 1st, 2005
>
> all clients/tapes have one year retention policy
>
> some/lots of tapes have not become recyclable because of
> systems that no longer exist.  we don't care about them.
>
> ergo any tapes that expire before 4/1/2005 can be set
> to recyclable...  for example, the last three months...
>
>  for i in 01 02 03; do
>     mminfo -m | egrep "$i/.*/05"
>     vols=`mminfo -m | egrep "$i/.*/05" | awk '{print $1}'`
>     for v in $vols; do
>       echo nsrmm -y -o recyclable $v
>       nsrmm -y -o recyclable $v
>     done
>  done

Here's a different way to do it that might work better.  I usually run a
script on my volumes that runs this:

mminfo -s $SERVER -q \!ssrecycle,\!recoverable,volume=$1

So, on a per-volume basis, mminfo will return any savesets on the tape
that aren't recyclable.  I run this against tapes that I think should
expire, but aren't, and see which clients are 'hanging' the tape.  From
there, I can query the clients or look through the indexes to see what
happened.  You might run a similar report on your volumes.

A better idea would probably be to mark all the savesets from the
systems that no longer exist as recyclable.  If that's true, than the
media should recycle/take care of itself without you having to do
per-tape operations.

Dave