Networker

[Networker] Need help restoring SYSTEM STATE files

2005-03-30 11:36:54
Subject: [Networker] Need help restoring SYSTEM STATE files
From: "Dell, Mary" <mdell AT MESIROWFINANCIAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:34:13 -0600

Hi everyone,

I just did a couple of DR restores of Windows 2003 servers.  One of them was
a restore onto the same hardware/system, and it went just fine.  The
registry/SYSTEM STATE files under \WINNT\system32\config (Security_NSR,
Software_NSR, etc) restored just fine, and after the reboot they were moved
to the correct names (Security, Software, etc) and the registry was restored
to the pre-failure state.

On the other system, we restored it onto different hardware, and left the
original system running in production.  (I kluged the hosts file on the nsr
server so it thought it was doing a restore to the original system) This
meant that at the end of the restore, before rebooting, we had to unplug it
from the network, or else the restored System state would lead it to try to
use its original system name and ip address, which would cause trouble with
the running original system.  So, everything restored fine -- the config
files were created (Security_NSR, etc), same as above.  But when we
rebooted, they didn't get moved to their real names. They're still sitting
out there with the _NSR extension, and it's running with the registry from
the clean build we did before restoring. I suspect this has something to do
with pulling it off the network, but we have to do it this way - we don't
have a private network we can do this stuff in at the moment.

So here's my question:  if the restore doesn't do the final replacement of
the SYSTEM STATE files when I reboot the client, is there a way I can get
them copied into place?  On a unix host I'd just boot from a cd, mount the
root volume, and move the files, but apparently it's not that simple with
windows.  And can anyone confirm that interrupting the network connection
during a reboot causes it not to finish this last step of the recovery?

Thanks,
Mary Dell
Server Admin
Mesirow Financial

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Confidential,
proprietary or time-sensitive communications should not be transmitted via
the Internet, as there can be no assurance of actual or timely delivery,
receipt and/or confidentiality. This is not an offer, or solicitation of any
offer to buy or sell any security, investment or other product.