Networker

[Networker] Backing up files on Solaris to Linux?

2005-03-18 12:12:14
Subject: [Networker] Backing up files on Solaris to Linux?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:16:19 -0500
Hi,

We have some Oracle database dump files on a Solaris box (Solaris 2.7),
and I'd like to copy these to one of our Linux Red Hat boxes (AS 3) and
then back them up from there. I was performing the backups on the Sun
box, but due to certain backup configuration restrictions we have in
place, I have to use a slower, older library to do this, so if I copy
them to the Linux Box, I can use a newer, faster library. I would, of
course, validate that the data on the Linux machine is the same using
MD5 checksums on both sides. We don't have everything in place yet to do
hot backups via Oracle module.

I am concerned, however, about this business of little-endian versus
big-endian. I'd heard that before regarding the possibility of problems
when transferring client indexes, wherein the checksums might match just
dandy, *BUT* OS differences in how bits are read could cause still
mischief? Is this a concern here?

I should note that indexing is turned off for the pools we use to back
up these Oracle dump files, so we would use saveset recover to recover
these.

Thanks.

George