Networker

Re: [Networker] default client--how to check via nsradmin?

2005-03-16 18:34:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] default client--how to check via nsradmin?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:30:14 -0600
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:57:03PM -0500, David Gold-news wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing a case with Networker 7.1.3 where I have two client objects for
> the networker server (one for daily, one for monthly backups--we separate
> into pools based on groups), and even though I've set the default client to
> be the "daily" client, so the indexes don't keep my daily tapes from being
> recycled for a long period, it looks like that is being set to the
> "monthly" client.
>
> So before I add additional client objects to all the groups to force the
> issue, I've got two questions:
> 1. Has anyone seen this before?
> 2. Anyone know what the nsradmin characteristic is that sets the default
> client?

There's not a concept of a 'default client' in Networker.  What you're
seeing that indexes are associated with the server, not with the client,
so indexes get the retention period for the server.  If the server isn't
in the daily group that's being run, Networker plays it safe and picks
the longest retention time for the server and uses that.

Search the archives, this has been covered at length before.  The main
two solutions tend to be to either a) put an instance of the server in
each group (even if it always skips data) so that indexes follow that
retention time, or b) to run a script after the backups to update the
retention times on the indexes via nsrmm.

Dave