Networker

[Networker] Parallel Recoveries

2005-03-10 14:59:32
Subject: [Networker] Parallel Recoveries
From: Carl Farnsworth <cfarnsworth AT SYMPATICO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:55:05 -0500
Just noticed a very curious "feature" of NetWorker 7.2/7.1.3.  While
setting up some test-bed systems, we were doing a Directed Recover from
Client A to Client X of about 75GB.  At the same time, we initiated a
second Directed Recover from Client B to Client Y.  I anticipated that the
second recover would simply be queued up until the first recover had
completed, but lo and behold, the second recover finished first (much
smaller dataset).  I assumed that this was a fluke of timing, in that the
two datasets happened to be multiplexed onto the same tape in the same
session.  Kind of cool.

But we then initiated a recover to Client Y of the same dataset that was
still being recovered to Client X.  I assumed that as a best case, it would
start recovering the same files that Client X was currently recovering,
then backtrack and pick up the rest.

But instead, it "paused" the first recovery to Client X (45GB out of 75GB),
backtracked to the beginning of the saveset, started recovering to Client
Y, then when Client Y caught up, both clients continued in parallel!!

My question is - is this expected behaviour, or a fluke?  Or is it an
unanticipated "feature" introduced to accommodate the multi read/write
features of Advanced File Devices (even tho these recoveries are from
tape)?  How then are priorities determined for recoveries?

In this situation, it worked to our advantage; but what about the reverse?
If I'm trying to recover a small set of spreadsheets that my boss nuked by
accident, for example, and someone else kicks off a recovery of a 60GB
database, am I potentially going to have to wait for the other to finish?

Just wondering,
caf