Networker

Re: [Networker] Right of way for recovers?

2005-03-10 04:37:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Right of way for recovers?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:38:04 +0000
George Sinclair wrote:
Hi,

Let's say I have a recovery that will require 7 volumes and that some of
these volumes are still appendable. If I start the recovery, and I know
it won't complete before the nightly backups start, and I don't want to
postpone the backups, is there anything that can be done to ensure that
the recovery will not be hampered?

For example, I was thinking that maybe just before it requests the next
tape, the backups might try to sneak in and use that tape to write data
and thus delay the recover, forcing it into limbo, so I write-protected
all the affected tapes to prevent this. I guess I SHOULD have also
changed one of the drives to read-only and loaded the first required
tape so NetWorker would use that device for the recovery, and the drive
would not get used for writes, and then the recovery should not be
affected by the backups.

Does this sound like the best strategy, and is any of this necessary?
Who has the right of way here? I want to say that there's nothing to
prevent a backup from sneaking in and grabbing the drive or one of the
tapes in between a tape change operation if you don't take these
measures to guard against it? Maybe the recovery will reserve the drive
it starts with for the duration of the recovery? Could have sworn I've
seen that theory debunked before unless device was set to read-only.

I'd say this is entirely the right strategy and it is what I would do in those circumstances.