Networker

[Networker] celerra backups

2005-03-08 23:25:10
Subject: [Networker] celerra backups
From: Dave Gold - News <dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:24:47 -0500
If you are speaking about Centera--meaning CAS--and not Celerra, then I would
suggest you read up on the Centera Backup/Recovery Module. CAS data is a
different type of backup, and while it uses the NDMP engine, that isn't the
crux of the situation, the CAS nature of the data is the main issue IMHO.
Simply put, CAS data is not a normal file system, and the backup strategy
should be different to accomodate that fact.

As for a single stream of NDMP data backing up at 40MB/second...I wouldn't
expect that. If you are talking about a standard NAS (Celerra, NetApp, etc),
there are often ways to get that performance. But I don't think that is the
issue here.

Dave