Networker

Re: [Networker] Using multiple storage nodes for same client?

2005-03-08 14:30:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using multiple storage nodes for same client?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:26:44 +0000
George Sinclair wrote:
Thanks for your response and sorry to be so long winded. I think the
utter frustration forced it out of me. LOL! What then is the purpose or point of listing more than one snode?

There are several reasons that you may do this, depending on your environment. I hate to say RFTM to a seasoned NetWorker user such as yourself, but all of this is covered in the admin guide.

In overview, the second or subsequent values in the storage node affinity list are used when there are no devices available to write to on the first storage node listed. There may be a variety of reasons that a device is not available on the first node, such as:

(1) The first node is unreachable.

(2) None of the devices on the first node are currently enabled.

(3) None of the devices on the first node are currently available FOR USE IN THIS POOL. This can be useful in certain circumstances, enabling you to be writing to different storage nodes simultaneously by virtue of the fact that the backups are going to different pools. OK I know that we all advise not to place too many restrictions on pools, but this is a powerful tool when used carefully and selectively.

(4) Finally, and I expect this is what you have overlooked, when a mount request is not satisfied by the first storage node within a specified time. This time is defined by the "save mount timeout" and "save lockout" attributes of the device resource. Read the admin guide carefully so that you don't get any surprises when using these. This is detailed under the section cunningly and obscurely ;-) entitled: "How to set timeouts for storage node devices".

I hope that this removes your frustration. It all seems quite logical to me.